Wymeswold is situated at the northern boundary of Leicestershire and lies in a shallow valley in the gently rolling area known as the Wolds, which straddles the Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire border, mid-way between the cities of Nottingham and Leicester. The village holds a number of events every year, such as the famous Duck Races, the Open Gardens and the Village Show. The village is a very compact settlement built around the fourteenth century St Mary's church. The older parts are mostly eighteenth and nineteenth century buildings, now infilled with a number of small estates and detached properties.
The village probably took shape in the mid-Saxon period (700-900) together with its associated roads and footpaths. In early records the name appears as Wymund's Wald (ie wood). The Domesday book shows that in 1086 the village was divided into four parts and subsequently these lands had various owners. In the time of Edward III Richard de Willoughby was granted a charter to hold a weekly market and annual fair.
Wymeswold is typical of a working village, the development of which has evolved over many centuries. Far Street still retains one of the finest Georgian street-scapes in Leicestershire. Around the village are many pleasant corners with groupings of houses which illustrate the vernacular architecture of the village.
The village offers a small selection of local retailers and pubs, with the Hammer and Pincers especially noted for its food.